Can You Put a Dimmer Switch on Any Light?
Dimmer switches can dramatically improve the indoor lighting of virtually any space. Unlike traditional on-off switches, dimmer switches allow you to adjust the room’s brightness to your liking.
The great news is that dimmer switches can be installed anywhere that has an on-off switch. Simply replacing the on-off toggle switch with a dimmer switch will allow you to adjust the room’s brightness. As long as the lightbulb and dimmer are compatible, you’ll be on your way to improved indoor lighting.
As smart technologies continue to saturate the market, homeowners might wonder what their options are for smart dimmers. When choosing the right lighting option for your home, it’s important to consider what technologies are available, what your preferences are, and whether your desired setup will be compatible.
Can a Normal Dimmer Be Installed on a Smart Light?
The biggest thing to consider when selecting a dimmer switch to replace your toggle switch is compatibility. In general, it’s best to use a smart dimmer with a smart lightbulb to avoid performance issues, as most smart bulbs can’t be reliably dimmed with a standard dimmer switch.
Types of Standard Dimmers
There are many different types of dimmers to choose from when selecting a switch for your home, including:
- Multi-way dimmers: Multi-pole dimmers control lights with multiple control switches and are most commonly used in rooms with many different entry points.
- Plug-in dimmers: These dimmer switches are used to control lamps that would usually be plugged into an outlet. A dimmer switch is placed in the outlet, and the light is plugged into the dimmer to enable brightness adjustments.
- Single-pole dimmers: Designed to control a specific light or set of lights from a single location, single-pole dimmers are typically used to replace traditional toggle switches for lights with only one control switch.
- Smart dimmers: A new innovation, smart dimmers offer the same features as traditional dimmer devices but with the added flexibility of being able to adjust lighting via your phone or smart device.
Depending on the type of dimmer you select, it may interact differently with your smart lightbulbs. Always read the label and research compatibility before deciding on a dimmer switch.
Can a Smart Dimmer Be Installed on Any Light?
Yes, smart dimmers can work with just about any lightbulb as long as the bulb is dimmable. This is a great option if you’re looking for greater control over your light fixtures without having to worry about compatibility.
Considerations for Purchasing a Smart Dimmer
If you’ve decided to install a smart dimmer, the next thing to consider is which features you need to be included. There are several different options to consider when choosing a smart dimmer, including:
- Apps: Wi-Fi connectivity is what powers your smart dimmer and allows you to maintain control of your device when you’re away from home. Look for smart dimmers that feature app connectivity for greater control.
- Bluetooth: Alternatively, some smart dimmers can be controlled via Bluetooth, allowing connectivity without Wi-Fi. Be aware that these dimmer switches offer less flexibility as it requires you to be within range to adjust brightness.
- Smart home device compatibility: Some smart dimmers can be controlled via smart hubs like Amazon Echo or Google Home, allowing you to adjust the brightness in the room using just the sound of your voice.
- Remote: Along with apps, some smart dimmers come with a remote control, allowing you to adjust brightness using either your smartphone or the included remote.
Can You DIY Dimmer Switch Installation?
While switching from a toggle switch to a dimmer is a simple procedure, it should be performed only by a knowledgeable electrician. Any DIY electrical work isn’t just prone to failure, it can also be extremely dangerous. If you’re interested in switching to a dimmer, it’s best to leave the hard work to the professionals at Campbell & Company.