The Importance of Changing Your Furnace’s Air Filter
Every furnace has an air filter that helps ensure you’re getting the cleanest air coming from your vents by collecting dust and debris as the unit runs. Without a clean furnace air filter, your home could suffer from poor indoor air quality. To that end, it’s important to change out filters regularly, ensuring that you can keep breathing clean air in your home.
Benefits of Replacing Your Furnace Air Filter
Replacing your furnace’s air filter is essential to the proper functioning of your HVAC system. If your air filter is clogged with too much dust or debris, it can cause serious problems for your furnace and lead to major breakdowns. This is why you need to regularly replace it with a new, clean filter.
There are a lot of other benefits to installing a new air filter. A few of the reasons to replace your furnace air filter include:
- Extended service life: When the air filter is changed regularly, you can keep your furnace running well and potentially get more years out of the system.
- Improved energy efficiency: If the air filter is too dirty, your furnace will struggle to operate and drive up your energy bills.
- Fewer repairs: With a clean air filter in place, your furnace won’t have to work overtime. This makes it less likely to run into the need for repairs.
- Cleaner air: New, clean air filters will have an easier time keeping pollutants out of your air than clogged ones.
How Often Do I Need a New Air Filter?
Furnace air filters should be replaced every few months. Typically, they should be swapped out every one to three months to ensure you always have a fairly clean filter in place.
A few factors could influence how often you should replace your furnace air filter. If you have pets, family members with allergies, or an older home, you may want to install a new air filter more often than every three months. You should also check the manufacturer’s instructions on your air filter packages for more precise guidance.
How To Replace a Furnace Air Filter
Replacing a furnace air filter is an easy step that most homeowners can do without the help of a professional HVAC technician. When you need to install a new air filter, follow these steps:
- Find the furnace air intake grill
- Unlatch the grill and find the filter
- Remove the old filter and throw it out
- Install the new filter in the direction labeled on the filter
- Close up the grill and latch it into place
If you need assistance, Campbell & Company can change your furnace air filter for you. We can visit your home, remove the old filter, and install a new one, as well as perform other maintenance tasks on your furnace to ensure it is working optimally. Our team can also discuss your air quality needs and help you choose the right type of air filter for your needs.
Rely On Campbell & Company for Furnace Services
For over 40 years, our team at Campbell & Company has delivered high-quality furnace services to customers throughout the Tri-Cities and Yakima areas. Our technicians are licensed and insured, provide 24/7 emergency service, and treat every client just like family. For fast, reliable, and complete HVAC repairs and maintenance, go with the pros at Campbell & Company.